Subject: RE: Windows98 + inetutils
From: [email-masked] (Hilton Fernandes)

2 Oct 1998 09:46:56 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Hilton Fernandes <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Hilton Fernandes <[email-masked]>

On 30 Sep 98 at 22:29, Leo Mauro <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 29, 1998 12:30 PM, Steve Morris wrote:
> 
> [SNIP]
> > I need better security when my box is on the net whether it is
> > UNIX, NT or Win 95.
> 
> Regretfully, there is no way to secure a Win9x box.  There is no concept
> of an "user" under Win9x -- the login dialog is only used to select a
> profile
> and a few other odds and ends, and has no effect whatsoever on file
> protection.  The same goes when you "log in" via some telnet daemon.
> 

Hello! 

I totally agree with Leo Mauro <[email-masked]>.  This is what
i'd like to say, but using much more detail and better humor. :-)  

Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]> has also a very good point.  His
message is even more interesting, as it suggests the possibility of
a new, restricted shell, without the very big risk Stipe Tolj 
<[email-masked]> and everyone else is afraid of: 

	rm -r -f /

Such a shell could be started by telnet instead of command.com or
bash.  Since i haven't read the source of cygwin's telnet source, i'd
like to confirm: would that be possible without great change to
cygwin's telnet, wouldn't it?

It would be a very big restriction, since this shell would let the
user start only very few, also restricted programs.  No way to start
Internet Explorer, or other programs as powerful.  My ISP has such a
form of shell, when you telnet to it.  Actually it has only a menu
where you start things like pine, the email tool, and the WWW
browser called lynx. 

I really dislike flame wars, but i risked starting one. :-( Sorry,
Steve Morris <[email-masked]>, if i looked like sending trolls
for this very interesting list.  

I'd like to finish this message using the wise words of Paul Garceau
"Paul Garceau" <[email-masked]>:

Peace,
--Hilton
-------------------
Hilton Fernandes, M. Sc
email: [email-masked]
Parallel Distributed Applications 
at Escola Politecnica (Polytechnic School)
University of S. Paulo - Brazil
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".