Subject: B19: README.txt and Environment Variables
From: [email-masked] (Kenneth Evans, Jr.)

2 Oct 1998 06:34:35 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

     The B18 README.txt gave good directions about installing several
environment variables (TCL_LIBRARY, GCC_EXEC_PREFIX, etc.) and adding to
the PATH.  The B19 README.txt says nothing about these variables, and
what you are to do about your old ones.  The paths for TCL especially
have changed their location.

     The FAQ seems to indicate that you do not need to set these
variables if you install in the standard place.  You have to look all
over it to find this out.  Moreover, that appears to be wrong.

    If I don't install them and also put the bin directory in the PATH,
then it can't find the programs, at least in a DOS shell or in an Emacs
shell.  How do these shells know to run cygnus.bat or even want to?  I
and, I would guess, many others do not use the bash shell.  The
utilities are, after all, very useful without it.

     Finally, cygnus.bat is:

@ECHO OFF
SET MAKE_MODE=unix
SET CYGFS=C:/Cygnus/B19
SET GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=C:\CYGNUS\B19\H-I386~1\lib\gcc-lib\
SET TCL_LIBRARY=%CYGROOT%\share\tcl8.0\
SET GDBTK_LIBRARY=%CYGFS%/share/gdbtcl
SET PATH=C:\CYGNUS\B19\H-I386~1\bin;%PATH%
bash

CYGROOT doesn't seem to be defined, and why is it used in one place and
CYGFS in another.  Is this a mistake?  (Presumably, CYGFS could be used
in the last line instead of the explicit C:, as well.)

     Apparently the former line:

PATH=%PATH%;C:\Cygnus\b18\tcl\bin

is no longer needed.  It would be nice to say this and save a lot of
time trying to figure out what it was supposed to have done before, in
order to fix it up for this version.  Apparently the answer is that
cygwish is in C:\CYGNUS\B19\H-I386~1\bin, now.

    The botton line is: Instead of an easy installation as with previous
versions, this used a morning of my time doing trial and error and
searching the documentation.  That would not have been necessary with a
little help in README.txt.  As in the last versions.

     Apart from this, the package is VERY useful and the price is
right.  I thank those involved.

    -Ken

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".