Subject: Re: Strong Typing Was -- RE: New Language
From: [email-masked] (John vanVlaanderen)

2 Oct 1998 05:23:40 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

>> Strong typing ...
>> The only interpreted language that I see very interresting 
>> (but not an alernative to Perl) is Python,

Is python strongly typed, I dunno ?? 

>> (Pure) OOP + interpreted language = Slow slow slow ...

Is python slow, I have the O'Reilly book on reg-exps and python had good 
performance there.

On the python subject, I have a strong desire to switch to emacs, but 
its use of lisp seems a bit off the beaten path.  I would rather see the 
native language as perl but if I had to learn a new language it I would 
rather it be python.

BTW, is there an xemacs out there for the Xserver in binary form ??  
Xwindows is essiential for the remote operations admin.

>Personally, I think Perl will benefit from strong typing sometimes. 

I agree, but only as a feature and not an inherant behavior.
Perl is a pretty perfect food group by all know nutritional standards 
and is, BTW, my bread and butter.

Typing is important to please the corporate higher ups...
They want to see a executable fail outright rather than having it try to 
add strings, for instance.

>So why not have some kinda pragma indicating a particular variable as 
of type integer or float?  

That would be a handy layered addon as a perlmodule but changing the 
basic perl structure to allow a performace gain is a lot of unnecessary 
work, if you want C performance, then load it it as XS in your module 
package.

The perl-porters are far to busy supporting a tryly flexible language to 
rip the guts out it just now.

As far as prototyping goes...  thats what shell is for, perl code is the 
product in its final form.

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".