Subject: Help required - Connecting bash to an editor using anonymous pipes
From: [email-masked] (Jonathan Naughton-Green)

2 Oct 1998 05:15:19 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: GNU-Win32 <[email-masked]>

Hi,

    If anybody can throw some light onto running a "bash" session through a
    pipe then I would appriciate it. I have sifted through the archieves but
    have not (as yet) found anything that answers my question - (are those
    archives big !!)

    I am trying to connect the Cygnus environment to a MicroEmacs editor to
    run a Cygnus shell in one of the buffer windows. I can do this with the
    "command.com" to give me DOS prompt in a buffer, however applying the same
    technique to "bash" it does not quite work.

    The window comes up. I can send characters to the shell and I can execute
    commands and see the results in the buffer BUT the bash prompt and the
    characters that I type into the buffer are not visible.

    Basically all I have done is get MicroEmacs to prepare the environment
    (i.e. pushed the cygnus.bat set up in the environment) created anonymous
    pipes for stdin, stdout and stderr which connect to MicroEmacs and then
    spawned off a new process "bash" (directly).

    I am a bit baffled by this because I had assumed that the bash prompt
    would be on stdout. Because I can read the output of commands such as
    "ls", "make" etc which appear on stdout and stderr then I must assume
    that bash itself is doing something else - but what ??

    I have also assumed that bash will execute correctly when served up with
    a set of pipes as it's stdin/out/err - this might not be the case.

    I'm running Cygwin 19.1 on Windows '98.

    MicroEmacs (jasspa) is from

    http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Thinktank/7109/

    + latest patch + a few hacks of my own on the launching of processes.
    I am building under MSVC 5.0 (not sure if I can build this as a 
    cygwin executable as a windows app ??) 

Regards
J.Naughton-Green

-- 
______________________________________________________________________

J.D.Naughton-Green

SAMSUNG Electronics Ltd
Samsung Electronics Research Institute (Audio / Visual Labs)
_______________________________________________________________________
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".