Subject: Alive processes
From: [email-masked] (Ian Collins)

2 Oct 1998 03:43:17 -0700
Message-ID: <AC4D3D80B239D211BC140000F879A2BA91.cygnus.gnu-win32@NTMAIL>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
To: "Gnu-Win32 (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>

How do you programmatically detect if a gnu process is still alive?
On other Unix's I have performed some of the following,

: Performed a popen of the command "ps -p 12345" and read the output.
(Won't easily work for gnu-win32).

: sent a kill -SIGUSR1 to the process, and check for an error coming
back (have to be same user).

: Looked for a directory in /proc (for Linux/svr4 Unixes, but not
gnu-win32).

: Read the kernel memory (hairy coding!).

What would be the best way to do this under gnu-win32?
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".