Subject: Re: mingw32 on Windows NT
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

1 Oct 1998 10:30:27 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Tim Arheit <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Tim Arheit wrote:

> Has anyone gotten mingw32 to compile properly on windows NT.  I've used
> mingw32 successfully on windows 95 and windows 98 for some time, but 
> I just tried running it on NT and it gives the following error (even just
> when compileing hello.c)
> 
> ld: cannot open C:\TMP\cc0002261.o: No such file or directory
> 
> c:\tmp\ exists and the file cc000226.o exists,  for some reason it seems
> to truncate any temp .o file it creates to 8 char.  I'm using gcc 2.8.1.
> Any solutions?
> 

You should run gcc with the "-v" option to see what the filenames really
are. You'll probably need to debug the gcc.exe driver to see what's going
on and fix it.

Is there a particular reason why you need to use gcc-2.8.1 instead of
the more "modern" releases of egcs? GCC-2.8.1 is simply too old and
none of the win32 fixes to egcs-1.x have not made their way into FSF
GCC, and the chances of that happening in the future are rather slim
unless a volunteer comes along to integrate these changes into FSF GCC.
These changes involves *lots* of bug fixes and also lots of new
enhancements (dll import/export is probably the most visible one).

I strongly suggest you upgrade to egcs-1.1. See:

  http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/

or, straight to ftp:

  ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin32/egcs-1.1/

Cygwin32 B20 will include egcs-1.1 as well.

Regards,
Mumit

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".