Subject: Re: Namespace support?
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

1 Oct 1998 04:34:25 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Dwight Schauer <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

On 28 Sep 1998, Dwight Schauer wrote:

> For things like stdio.h, string.h, and such, that
> would be more of a problem, because you would have
> to change every reference, but I don't think that
> is what you are trying to do (at least I hope not)

By standard, these are wrapped in <cstdio>, <cstring>, etc and already
part of C++ library distributed with GNU C++.

You can always use the old-style <stdio.h> or <string.h>, but the issue
there is scoping of the symbols defined by these headers; using the C
style headers dumps everything into the global namespace, whereas using
the "new" C++ style puts the symbols in the properly scoped std
namespace.

> 
> > this way, since it's the new VC++ standard), and secondly, will the 
> 
> What a strange standard.
> 

That is the standard, and nothing strange about it whatsoever. See any
good C++ text or the C++ standard for info on why. VC++ is just following
it better than most, thanks to Dinkumware C++ library bundled with it.

Regards,
Mumit

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".