Subject: make problems on W95
From: [email-masked] (Andy Hammersley)

29 Sep 1998 15:27:57 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

I'm trying to use GNU-make within from the Cygnus bash shell. On WNT
everything worked beautifully (at this level at least). However, on
W95 I've had nothing but problems. 

1. The lack of environment variable space error which is answered in other
   mails. (I have Visual Fortran installed which adds a number of
   environment variables. Can the install not warn users if this is a 
   problem ?)

2. The PATH is not properly set so bash.exe can't be found. The problem
   here seems to be directory names with spaces. I have Visual C++
   and Visual Fortran installed, both of which add directories with
   spaces to the PATH. 

   To get round this problem I've tried setting the Cygnus bin directory
   within AUTOEXEC.BAT and removing this from the CYGNUS.BAT file. 

   Is this O.K. ? Bash appears to work O.K.

   (I see in the FAQ that spaces are not allowed in file names, can
   'C:\Program Files\...' be easily avoided ?)

3. Having done the above if I type"

make -v

I get a message for GNU Make with version number and NO warranty info.

However if I type make in an appropriate directory (one with a Makefile,
targets, sources, etc.) it hangs.

With

make -d

I get the version and warranty info, and:

Reading makefiles...
Reading makefile `Makefile'...
Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.
Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.
Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.
Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.
Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.

After that it hangs the system completely, and I'm forced to reboot.

Any help on getting this working, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

          Andy ([email-masked])

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".