Subject: less, misbehaving
From: [email-masked] (Charles Wilson)

29 Sep 1998 11:44:38 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

I'm having some wierd problems with less, and I don't know if it's my
environment settings, or my ncurses library, or what. I'm using less
v332 from andy's local.tar.

Less operates as expected, until I try to view a file with less than a
full screen of data. If I execute 'less shortfile', the file is
displayed in the terminal window, followed by the message: '[1]+
Stopped    less shortfile'

From that point on, all (?) interactive console mode programs misbehave.
When invoking less on a file with _more_ than a full screen of data,
e.g. 'less longfile', the first screen worth of data is displayed
followed by '[2]+ Stopped    less longfile'. (This identical command
worked fine _before_ my 'mistake' with shortfile)  Ditto with vi, or
hexedit. I can always bring the executable back to the foreground, and
things seem to work okay after that, but this is annoying.

Does anybody know what's going on? My cygwin variable is 'tty notitle
ntea binmode'

--Chuck Wilson

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".