Subject: Re: i386pe.x: etext and end?
From: DJ Delorie <[email-masked]>

29 Sep 1998 09:30:08 -0400
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <13839.16480.757084.83000.cygnus.gnu-win32@hawaii>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.0 (X11; I; IRIX 5.3 IP22)

end and etext are "special" so they don't have underscores
to make sure they don't interfere with functions or variables
your program may provide (ansi/posix compliance and all that).

However, you can access them using gcc extensions:

extern int end asm("end");

void *foo()
{
  return (void *)&end;
}

However, since they're deprecated, there is *no* sanctioned
way of getting at them.  You shouldn't be using them at all
unless you absolutely can't avoid it.

DJ