Subject: managing /etc/passwd
From: [email-masked] (Steve Morris)

29 Sep 1998 07:04:50 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

I just got inetd partially working on my NT box and discovered that I have no
security. As directed in a post by Sergey found in the archives I initially
created my passwd file with:

% mkpasswd -l -g >/etc/passwd

I didn't look too closely at this file until I notice that there was no
password checking on ftp. Then I noticed that the password fields in
/etc/passwd are empty. I tried to create password entries with the passwd
command but it prints every line in the passwd file followed by "; not found."
Exactly what is not found is not clear but it isn't found for any user.

Needless to say this is probably not adequate security and I would like to
repair this situation quickly. Where have I gone wrong? Others must have blown
poast this step without similar problems. The archives got me this far but I
don't see this specific problem. I don't find the word passwd in the FAQ.

How do I add passwords to passwd?

NOTE: I am having major instability with ftp connections. Is this normal? Does
inetd work smoothly for other people.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".