Subject: Re: cp/mv/rm problems with .exe extension filenames
From: [email-masked] (Fergus Henderson)

27 Sep 1998 21:38:57 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Mumit Khan <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Parker, Ron" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

On 25-Sep-1998, Mumit Khan <[email-masked]> wrote:
> What is the general consensus, if any, here? Here're the choices:
>   
>   1. add .exe never.
>   2. add .exe always, unless .exe is already there. 
>   3. add .exe only if no suffix is provided.

My vote is for #1.  That option allows Unix software to build and
install without modifications, which is after all the whole idea behind
gnu-win32.  Options 2 and 3 require modifications to Makefiles.

Option 1 can sometimes cause some problems when interacting with
non-gnu-win32 software, but if you're willing to modify the Makefiles
(as would be required with the other options anyway), then such problems
are easily solved.

Of course, for mingw32 the answer should be different, because mingw32 has
different aims.  But if I type `gcc' at a bash prompt, it should give
me the same results that it does under Unix.

-- 
Fergus Henderson <[email-masked]>  |  "I have always known that the pursuit
WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>  |  of excellence is a lethal habit"
PGP: finger [email-masked]        |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".