Subject: Make addity?
From: [email-masked] (Lewis Beard)

26 Sep 1998 02:00:54 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Gnu-Win32 Mailing List <[email-masked]>

All,

As requested, I looked through back issues of the newsletter before
posting. I DID find mention of my problem, but no solution was given and
the answer didn't satisfy me.

I have a problem in that, when I modify my make files, I get:

	makefile:48: *** missing separator.  Stop.

To me this is a serious problem; it occurs when I add new lines or
delete lines entirely. It happens whether or not I have a unix or dos
line type. The only way I can get around it is to keep my makefile on a
unix box on the internet and make changes there and ftp it across,
because once I change the length of the file or add lines or whatnot, I
get this seperator problem. What gives? Why this is happening? Is there
a way around it without a new or patched make?

The person who answered the original poster (Geoofrey Noer, I believe)
said "make 3.77 fixes this", essentially. He poster also said that a
later patch of b19 will fix it, but that make 3.77 wont fix it. That
totally confused me. :) 3.77 make fixes that now, but later it wont?

Also, where can I get source or binaries to the version of make (3.77)
listed above, if indeed it does fix it? I'm new to the whole project, so
I have yet to find my way around.

Sorry for the totally newbie question.

Lewis
-- 
Lewis W. Beard   601-460-5267   [email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".