Subject: [FAQ] gnuwin32 mini FAQ second draft
From: [email-masked] (Michael Weiser)

24 Sep 1998 11:55:39 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]

Hello folks,

it took a bit long, but here it is: the second draft of the gnuwin32
mini FAQ and resource pointer.

I mainly cleaned up and devided it into seperate parts for mingw32 and
cygwin32 to avoid confusion. There are also some new URLs and some old
ones got updated. I would greatly appreciate any feedback, escpecially
of course from volunteers who want to write some section ( for example
those marked like '[ text goes here. any volunteers? ]' ;).

Also I would like to merge the '1.1.4. Options for the CYGWIN32
environment variable' article into one listing. Geoffrey, Michael and
Sergey, could you please mail me if this is okay for you? (Of course
you get mentioned in the acknowledgements. :)

For the traffic paranoid: the file itself has 7,698 bytes.

From now on I would start to post it regularly every two weeks,
although it's not complete yet. If there are any protests or reasons
not to do so, please mail me.

But here it goes:

gnuwin32 mini FAQ and resource pointer

$Id: gnuwin32-mini-faq.txt,v 1.5 1998/09/23 23:02:30 michael Exp $

0. Introduction

  This document tries to answer the gnuwin32 mailing list's most
frequently asked questions. It is not intended to replace any other
document you should have read before mailing a question to the list
but tries to give a comprehensive list of such resources. Also it
tries to collect all related, interesting and up-to-date download
locations.

1. Cygwin32

  Before doing anything else you should make sure that you have
updated your cygwinb19 package, even and especially if you just
downloaded and installed it.

- Sergey Okhapkin's coolview package contains an updated cygwinb19.dll
  that reflects the latest developments and fixes a lot of known
  problems. It is the latest resource and even newer than the b19.1
  update found on Cygnus' site.

- Mumit Khan's compilation of egcs for the cygwinb19.dll fixes lots of
  problems with the tools that come with the environment, especially
  if you're using the C++ compiler. This is a drop-in replacement for
  the gcc toolset.

URL's are listed below.

1.1. Cygwin32 most frequently asked questions

  If your problem doesn't go away after the above mentioned updates,
perhaps the following QA's help solving it:

1.1.1. Binary mounts

[ text goes here. any volunteers? ]

1.1.2. Long pauses occuring randomly in bash

[ text goes here. any volunteers? ]

1.1.3. Windows 95 freezing up

[ text goes here. any volunteers? ]

1.1.4. Options for the CYGWIN32 environment variable

Michael Hirmke <[email-masked]> writes:

It is not complete, but IMHO better than nothing:

[no]strip_title - works in conjunction with 'title'.  Strips the path
		  spec from what is displayed in the console title bar
		  when the program is run.

[no]binmode     - Use 'binmode' as the default open mode when the mode
		  is not otherwise specified in the open or by mount.

[no]glob        - Do not perform globbing operations on the command
		  line when a cygwin process is being invoked from a
		  non-cygwin shell.

strace          - A cygwinb19.dll debugging aid.  Setting mask to '1'
		  will cause reams of information about the operation
		  of cygwin to be written to 'file' as cygwin
		  operates. The rest of the bits control the display
		  various cygwin subsystems. For a complete list check
		  out /usr/include/sys/strace.h. The cache setting
		  controls how much strace output will be held in
		  memory before being output to disk.

Sergey Okhapkin <[email-masked]> writes:

[no]tty		- disable(default)/enable tty support for consoles.
[no]title	- disable/enable(default) displaying of a current
		  running proces's command line on a console title.

If you run my patched cygwinb19.dll, more options are available:

[no]ntea	- disable(default)/enable usage of extended file
		  attributes on Windows NT.
[no]mixed	- disable(default)/enable case-sensitive filenames on
		  ntfs partitions.

Goeffrey Noer <[email-masked]> writes about CYGWIN32=tty:

With tty mode, ttys are more Unix-like but will prevent some
non-Cygwin32 console apps from working correctly.

1.2. Cygwin32 resources

1.2.1. General information

  If the above doesn't answer your question you should read the
cygwin32 FAQ at http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/faq.html
before posting any question to the list.

  Please also research your question via the Searchable Mail Archives
at http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32. Most problems have already been
discussed and solved on the list.

  If you are searching for a port of a specific program or further
information on a certain topic, you should check out the following
cygwin32 related sites:

1.2.2. Web sites

http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (project page)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (comercial page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/faq.html           (cygwin32 faq)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32   (searchable mailing list archive)
http://www.eGroups.com/list/gnu-win32/   (mailing list archive mirror)

http://aquarius.franken.de/docs/develop/gnuwin32/GNUWin32.txt
                              (Michael Hirmke - package porting notes)
http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/software/grads/win32/X11R6.3/
                                 (Arlindo da Silva - X11R6.3 binaries)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru  (Chuck Bogorad - ports - sometimes down)
http://www.alank.net/                   (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://www.dol.ru/users/valtul               (Valery Tulnikov - ports)
http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/
                                      (Earnie Boyd - resource pointer)
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Garage/8516/gimp/gimpw32.html
                                                 (Craig Setera - gimp)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/             (more tools and man pages)
http://www.kedemel.demon.co.uk/                       (Darren - ports)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos           (Sergey Okhapkin - updates and ports)
http://www.multione.capgemini.fr/tools/pack_ipc/
                                         (Ludovic Lange - ipc package)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf             (Christopher Faylor - ports)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/
                                      (Mumit Khan - updates and ports)

1.2.3. FTP archives

ftp://go.cygnus.com/pub/ftp.cygnus.com/gnu-win32   (cygwin32 FTP site)
ftp://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/uwm_coads/X11R6.3
                                 (Arlindo da Silva - X11R6.3 binaries)
ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/local/fox/cygwin32
ftp://pipeline.ucsd.edu/pub/dsf/cygwin32
                                   (David Fox - RPM port and packages)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/
                 (Michael Hirmke - German mirror and ports collection)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/
                                   (Sergey Okhapkin - fixes and ports)
ftp://ftp.parallax.co.uk/pub/andyp      (Andy Piper - fixes and ports)
ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin32/
                                          (Mumit Khan - egcs binaries)

2. Mingw32

2.1. Mingw32 resources

2.1.1. Web sites

http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/
                             (Jan Jaap van der Heijden - gcc binaries)
http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/
                                      (Earnie Boyd - resource pointer)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html
                                         (Colin Peters - project page)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/
                                      (Mumit Khan - updates and ports)

2.1.2. FTP archives

ftp://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/home/janjaap/mingw32
                             (Jan Jaap van der Heijden - gcc binaries)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/mingw32/
                 (Michael Hirmke - German mirror and ports collection)
ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/
                                          (Mumit Khan - egcs binaries)

4. Acknowledgements

  Special thanks go to Earnie Boyd who wrote the first version of this
document. I of course also want to thank all the developers at Cygnus
and all over the net for developing such a great development
environment. :)

5. Legal stuff

I disclaim everything. :)
Copyright (c) 1998 by Michael Weiser, all rights reserved.

# end of file
-- 
bye, Michael
Ich bin gegen Hueftknochen!
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".