Subject: Re: Shortcuts and shortcuts do not mix [Was: cd'ing to a shortcut]
From: [email-masked] (Larry Hall RFK Partners Inc)

23 Sep 1998 08:34:32 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: Larry Smith <[email-masked]>,
        "Matthew O. Persico" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Michael Weiser <[email-masked]>,
        "Jose I. Cabrera" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
        [email-masked]

At 10:25 AM 9/21/98 -0500, Larry Smith wrote:
>Windows shortcuts and cygnus symbolic links are two different
>animals. The cygnus code does its best to implement the semantics of
>Unix semantic links without help from the operating system. And as far
>as the Cygnus code is concerned, a .lnk file is just another
>binary-format file with some wierd contents. Whether your program of
>interest chooses to follow through cygnus symbolic links or Windows
>shortcut files (or both) is up to the application.
>

To split a hair, whether an application supports the MS shortcut is 
application dependent.  Whether the application supports the Cygwin32
symbolic link is only application dependent if the application is not
compiled with the Cygwin32 environment.  Otherwise, support for the
symbolic link comes from the cygwinbxx.dll.

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02482-7797               http://www.rfk.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".