Subject: Re: some unusual errors
From: [email-masked] (Michael Richardson)

23 Sep 1998 08:25:58 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: DJ Delorie <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

>>>>> "DJ" == DJ Delorie <[email-masked]> writes:
    DJ> 3. Remember that getchar() returns in int - for the very same reason,
    DJ> so that EOF is not in the range of valid characters.  getchar()
    DJ> returns EOF or 0..255, which is NOT the same range as the range for
    DJ> type `signed char'.

    DJ> Basically, if you're a programmer and you've stumbled onto this
    DJ> problem, you have a problem with your code.  60 - For help on using
    DJ> this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to

  I think the problem is posix saying that is* needs to process EOF
without deciding if "char" is signed or not.
  isspace(foo[3]) has been around for a *LONG* time. It shouldn't break.
I will fix my code to use unsigned char's, fine, but I suggest that gnu-win32
make char unsigned by default then.

   :!mcr!:            |  Solidum Systems Corporation, http://www.solidum.com
   Michael Richardson |For a better connected world,where data flows faster<tm>
 Personal: <A HREF="http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html">[email-masked]</A>. PGP key available.
 Corporate: <A HREF="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A>. 

    
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".