Subject: gcc produces foo.exe, not foo
From: [email-masked] (Arne Glenstrup)

23 Sep 1998 03:20:49 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]

Hello,

Apologies if this question has been answered many times before, but I
didn't seem to be able to find it in the mailing list archives via the
search function.

The problem is that it seems that when running

  gcc -o foo foo.c

it produces not a file named foo, but a file named foo.exe. This has
caused me problems when writing a Makefile somewhat like

  bar: foo.c
          gcc -o foo foo.c
          mv foo bar

because it complains when trying to mv file foo.

What is the standard way of circumventing this problem? Simply writing

          mv foo.exe bar.exe

is not a full solution, because that is not portable. Is it necessary to
write some autoconf stuff to check what the extension of the executable
resulting from calling gcc is?

Thanx,

-- Arne.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".