Subject: Re: some unusual errors
From: [email-masked] (DJ Delorie)

23 Sep 1998 02:48:19 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

>   isspace(foo[3]) has been around for a *LONG* time. It shouldn't
>   break.

I agree it would be nice if the program didn't crash in those
conditions, and even better if it worked correctly, but relying on the
runtime to protect the computer from the programmer is a bad way to
start your morning.

> I will fix my code to use unsigned char's, fine, but I suggest that
> gnu-win32 make char unsigned by default then.

IRIX has unsigned chars by default.  You do NOT want that as a
default!  Many programs assume "char" can hold small negative numbers,
and fail in subtle ways on unsigned-char machines.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".