Subject: Remote tar
From: [email-masked] (Stephen Vance)

22 Sep 1998 11:16:25 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

I have been trying to use the Cygwin tar to backup remotely to a tape
drive on a Linux host, but get error messages that the remote host or
device can't be found.  I have verified that I can rsh to the Linux box,
although the rsh being used is the WinNT version.  I have also used the
Linux tar on the machines other boot personality successfully to backup
up remotely.

I stopped short of installing ssh and trying to use it as the
--rsh-program, although I did explicitly specify the WinNT version with
no different behavior.

Does anyone know why this doesn't work?  Current theories are:

1)  WinNT rsh does not supply the necessary piping functionality for the
rmt interface.
2)  The binary open issue is rearing its ugly head yet again.
3)  This functionality has never been tested or explicitly ported under
Cygwin.

For reference, the command being used is

tar cvf kat:/dev/st0 .

--
Stephen Vance                           |  http://www.deneb.com
Deneb Robotics, Inc.                    |  mailto:[email-masked]
5500 New King Street                    |  Phone: (248) 267-9696
Troy, MI 48098-2615                     |  Fax:   (248) 267-8585

What is done well is done quickly enough. -Augustus Caesar

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".