Subject: Re: some unusual errors
From: [email-masked] (Michael Richardson)

22 Sep 1998 09:06:31 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: Benjamin Riefenstahl <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

>>>>> "Benjamin" == Benjamin Riefenstahl <[email-masked]> writes:
    Benjamin> a) Specification: The <ctype.h> functions all take "int"s in the range 0
    Benjamin> to UCHAR_MAX plus EOF. This is the same range that getc() returns. It is
    Benjamin> *not* the same range as "char", but OTOH "unsigned char" is a subset of
    Benjamin> this range, so with regular strings one usually should cast like this

    Benjamin>         for(s = s00; isspace((unsigned char)*s); s++)

    Benjamin> b) The <ctype.h> functions are usually implemented as macros which look
    Benjamin> up the answers in a static array. I think what the compiler complains
    Benjamin> about is, that you use a (signed) "char" to index into an array
  
  Then the routines should cast the argument appropriately, or the routines
should be functions and cast things appropriate, or "char" should be by
default unsigned.

   :!mcr!:            |  Solidum Systems Corporation, http://www.solidum.com
   Michael Richardson |For a better connected world,where data flows faster<tm>
 Personal: <A HREF="http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html">[email-masked]</A>. PGP key available.
 Corporate: <A HREF="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A>. 

  
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".