Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32
From: [email-masked] (Steve Morris)

19 Sep 1998 05:23:13 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: gnu-win32 <[email-masked]>

John A. Turner writes:
 > Earnie Boyd wrote:
 > > 
 > > I have started creating this announced web page.  Feel free to take a
 > > look.
 > 
 > Looks like it will be a great resource.
 > 
 > But please, ditch the silly animated gifs.  Please.

I second that on both counts. Great page. Thanks. It is going to the top of my
bookmark file. I'm looking forward to its evolution.

soapbox on.

However animated gifs cause netscape to continuously take up cpu cycles on my
Sparc and, more important for me, forces vm swapping to/from disk. It forces
swapping when I have a lot of things running. I prefer netscape to be as quiet
as possible when I don't give it a command. Animated gifs degrade the
performance on my system. Animated gifs force me to leave your page everytime
I want to do something else.

As to why I am reading a win32 based web page on my sparc that's another story
although I suspect the cpu cycle and swapping issue would be the same on my NT
box (or my Linux box.) Animated gifs are great for people who are only using
the browser. They are bad for reference pages.

Soapbox off.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".