Subject: Re: cd'ing to a shortcut
From: [email-masked] (Theodore Jump)

17 Sep 1998 14:46:50 -0700
Message-ID: <360110b3.3716935.cygnus.gnu-win32@smtp>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "Jose I. Cabrera" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

>In my home, I added a shortcut to a directory that I use a lot.
>How can I change to it from bash?  When I cd to the shortcut name,
>it tells me that I have no right.  Here is the full screen:

I don't believe that Cygwin can follow MS Windows Explorer Shortcuts (*.lnk
files) yet; that it doesn't read them to interpret what they are a shortcut to
- in other words, it sees it as a regular file and thus that is why you can't
"cd" into it.

This would, IMHO, be a useful addition but should not (IMHO again) be used as a
replacement for the current softlink emulation.  I believe this because the
..LNK files would then have to be used to softlink to "Cygwin" paths that may or
may-not be valid under native Win32 non-Cygwin applications (like Explorer).
______________________________________________________________________
http://www.i21.com/~tjump                  http://www.fighterduel.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Congrats to Marco Pantani, Jan Ullrich, Bobby Julich, Erik Zabel,
Christophe Rinero and all the rest of the riders of Le Tour '98!
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".