Subject: Re: cannot do make install on source
From: [email-masked] (David Nicholas John Clarke)

14 Sep 1998 13:16:00 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

>
> The bash command I tried to use for the make was 
> 
> make install 2>&1 >cyg.err
> 
> but the error output was not redirected.  I have bash 2.01 which is
> what came with the package.
> 

From Bash man page (Redirecting output):

       Note  that  the order of redirections is significant.  For
       example, the command

              ls > dirlist 2>&1

       directs both standard output and  standard  error  to  the
       file dirlist, while the command

              ls 2>&1 > dirlist

       directs  only the standard output to file dirlist, because
       the standard  error  was  duplicated  as  standard  output
       before the standard output was redirected to dirlist.

Dave
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".