Subject: Re: Cygwin newbie questions
From: [email-masked] (Michael Weiser)

13 Sep 1998 15:21:55 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: Steve Grubbs <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

Hello Steve, you wrote:
>I just got Cygwin32, and it's great. It's working exactly how I'd expect it for
>the most part. The problem is the small things that aren't working really bug
>me. I have a feeling these may be linked, and I was hoping someone more
>knowledgable could help me here.
I can try. :)

>1) At my new job, I'm working under WinNT, but we use good ol' CVS for revision
>control (archive is on a Unix box). I don't really know the source of the "cvs"
>executable (our 2 main sysadmins just left within 2 weeks, so nobody I've asked
>really knows where they came from). The problem is that it doesn't work under
>cygwin. It works fine from a cmd prompt, but if I run it from cygwin, I get no
>output. I don't get "command not found", I just get nothing. Any ideas what's up
>with this?
>BTW, I test this with safe cvs commands like "cvs -v", which should work even if
>cvs settings were messed up.
My version of cvs-1.9 downloaded from www.cyclic.com works perfectly
under cygwin32. But compiling a 'native' cygwin32 cvs would certainly
the cleanest solution.

>2) One thought I had was to download cvs source and compile it under cygwin.
>When I try to run "configure", though, I get "bash: ./configure: No such file or
>directory". But configure IS there.... What's up with that? Does configure not
>work? Do I just have to edit the Makefile myself?
Have you tried 'sh ./configure' or 'bash ./configure'? Perhaps the
file permissions are messed up and you have to set them with chmod.
But normally this should give an 'permission denied' error...

>3) FTP hangs from cygwin. I assume its calling the WinNT ftp. Does this just not
>work? Do I need to get a different ftp for cygwin?
You could try the one from Sergey's remote.tgz found on
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/porters/Okhapkin_Sergey

>4) I've found some WWW pages with ports and stuff, but they don't seem to have a
>lot. Anyone know of any hard-to-find pages with good stuff?
ftp://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/uwm_coads/X11R6.3
                      (Arlindo da Silva - X11R6 binaries for cygwin32)
ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/local/fox/cygwin32
                                        (David Fox - RPM for cygwin32)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32
                 (Michael Hirmke - German mirror and ports collection)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/
                                   (Sergey Okhapkin - fixes and ports)
ftp://ftp.parallax.co.uk/pub/andyp      (Andy Piper - fixes and ports)
ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32
                 (Mumit Khan - egcs binaries for cygwin32 and mingw32)

(Hello Earnie, the mini-FAQ is coming! ;-))))
-- 
bye, Michael
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".