Subject: Re: defining _win32: was: I: gcc ... -U_WIN32 ... may cause problems
From: [email-masked] (Michael Weiser)

13 Sep 1998 04:07:13 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: Craig Nelson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

Hello Craig, you wrote:
>> I am the silly b* who started this thread.  I am, sort of, sorry I did :-)
>> To brig it back to the original intent or kill it, rather than start another, 
>We are no longer talking about just the stat call, and possibly stuff in the
>compiler headers, but more about the applications that are out there (that use
>the _WIN32 and unix defines without realizing they are not necessarily mutually
>exclusive.
>
>We are looking for a solution such that we do not have to modify 3rd party
>source code to use them.
As I already wrote (and Michael IMHO meant in his posting) it doesn't
matter how and why and where _WIN32 is defined. The headers just have
to be changed to allow that one who doesn't need the Win32 API can
undefine _WIN32 without any hassles. Using this, one could simply add
-U_WIN32 or -D_WIN32 if he or she wants an unix-like or a native win32
application respectively.
-- 
bye, Michael
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".