Subject: Re: bash hangs win95
From: [email-masked] (Stephen L Arnold)

12 Sep 1998 17:03:13 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <000f01bddd6c$289e2060$a5177fd1@green>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: "Dr. G. Scott Lett" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

On 11 Sep 98,,  Dr. G. Scott Lett had questions about bash hangs 
win95:

> Has there been any resolution to the problem of bash hanging the system on
> win95? I've seen reports about this problem occurring after the user 1)
> types an unrecognized command or 2) Types control-C.  There are reports at
> the Argonne National Lab web sites that the latter problem makes bash
> unusable in gnu-win32. I must agree, as I've fallen victim a couple of
> times.

It doesn't hang on my OSR2 install (Cyrix 200L, 75 MHz bus).  It 
did initially, but I installed the coolview .DLL and Mumit's EGCS 
replacement.  I also created a HOME environment variable, and 
borrowed someone's .bashrc (and modified it).  Everything seems to 
work fine now (if windoze can ever be called "fine").  At least, it 
works great for my cheesy little homework problems (but we haven't 
had to code anything substantial yet either :-)

Have you done all of the above?  If memory serves me, it *did* hang 
right after I first installed it, but if you just wait (rather than 
trying to kill the task) it should come back after a minute or two.

Hope this helps, Steve

*************************************************************
Steve Arnold                            [email-masked]
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons.  You should
also recycle yourself.  Become an organ donor (8-)@
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".