Subject: Re: Trying to compile my own perl...
From: [email-masked] (Mandy & Louis Fenyvesi)

12 Sep 1998 07:30:50 -0700
Message-ID: <002b01bddd98$7bc49450$f34ae4cf.cygnus.gnu-win32@cooper>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "Jon Knight" <[email-masked]>, "Bruce Lysik" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Gnu-Win32 Mailing List (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>

Perl 5.005.02 compiled just fine for me using EGCS 1.02 for Mingwin. Tk
800.11 also compiled without error.

This is using NT4.0 SP3. You will need dmake and will have to edit the
'makefile.mk' file to suit your build preferences, but otherwise, there
should be no problems. Note: one of the POSIX tests fails but it also fails
under MSVC++ and seems to be a windows specific problem.

Louis

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Knight <[email-masked]>
To: Bruce Lysik <[email-masked]>
Cc: Gnu-Win32 Mailing List (E-mail) <[email-masked]>
Date: Friday, September 11, 1998 1:23 PM
Subject: Re: Trying to compile my own perl...

>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>
>On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Bruce Lysik wrote:
>> Has anyone succeeded in compiling perl lately, and if so, did you have to
>> do anything special?
>
>I've been having a go with Perl 5.005_51.  On my win95 box at home with
>cygwin B19.1, the build of Perl bombs out complaining about a lack of
>va_start and va_end routines.  Bummer.  On a WinNT 4.0 workstation machine
>at work I got further and got Perl to build.  It passed quite a lot, but
>not all, of its tests.  I think that's to be expected because some of the
>tests are for UNIX specific features of Perl.  The installation didn't
>work too well even after following the Cygwin specific instructions and I
>ended up having to install it by hand.  Still, simple scripts seem to work
>OK.
>
>Unfortunately my reason for wanting to build Perl from scratch on a Win32
>platform was to then build the latest Perl Tk module.  This flopped big
>time; despite Tk itself going cross platform and also older versions of
>the Tk module being available with some of the binary Win32 Perl ports,
>the latest Tk module's configuration started to complain early on about
>not having X11 libraries handy.  When I hardcoded the Win32 detection flag
>in Makefile.PL to true, the configuration got a bit further and then the
>Perl interpreter dumped core.  Pooh.  Looks like I've got a bit more
>hacking to do if I want to be on the bleeding edge... :-(
>
>Tatty bye,
>
>Jim'll
>
>#!/usr/bin/perl -- -Whois++-client-in-6-lines-of-Perl -Beat-that-Z39.50!
>use IO::Socket;sub w{$f=shift;$a{$f}=1;($h,$p,$q)=split("/",$f);$s=
>IO::Socket::INET->new(PeerAddr=>"$h:$p")||return;print $s
"$q\r\n";while(<$s>)
>{next if(/^%/);if(/^# SERVER-TO-ASK/){while(<$s>){$x=$1 if/Name:
(.*)\r\n$/;$y
>=$1 if/Port: (.*)\r\n$/;$f="$x/$y/$q";@j=(@j,$f)if(/^#
END/&&!$a{$f})}}else{
>print}}close($s)}@j=shift;while(@j){w(pop(@j))}# whois++.pl host/port/query
>
>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>Version: 2.6.3i
>Charset: noconv
>
>iQCVAwUBNfe+K4GEIhRfyt1ZAQEH3AP9FSEnSRkKsXVjYJihtZBDjvN2iVZioRrC
>HshwMwuU5Na9dCJLW0FQ4bHg1fRjgW/tGPnpweLl4+A+nRJuQXplRF3sdTlSMckI
>fO34ozdA2YArEPQx+nQRJ6GNDJVBq1zwsmt32fDnlxukjifMb8qMB6O0QJqcR8z4
>qI8ZML24RHA=
>=bVRk
>-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
>

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".