Subject: Re: XFree86-DX
From: [email-masked] (GoatCheez)

12 Sep 1998 07:12:18 -0700
Message-ID: <000f01bdde1b$a2fb8dc0$1f105c18.cygnus.gnu-win32@B0B>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: <[email-masked]>

-----Original Message-----
From: Sergey Okhapkin <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; 'Alexander Stockdale' <[email-masked]>
Date: Friday, September 11, 1998 7:47 PM
Subject: RE: server X

Why not make an accelerated X server that uses DirectX calls, that way it
would work on all computers that have DX... I know DirectDraw, however i
don't know if i could port the entire code of an X server to use it. If
anyone else would be willing, then i think it would be a good cause.

GoatCheez
[email-masked]

>Alexander Stockdale wrote:
>> I think we really need to port XFree86 to the cygwin environment.  I've
>started looking into this, but it looks like it may be a big job (just look
>at the size of the diff file for the OS/2 port).
>>
>
>Porting _Xfree86_ to win32 is a bad idea, because Xfree86 requires direct
>video hardware access. The best candidate to port is sample X server
>provided with X11 distribution - just create directory
>xc/programs/Xserver/hw/Win32 and fill it with some code :-)
>
>Another interesting possibility is to modify libX11 to display X requests
>with Windows GDI calls if environment variable DISPLAY is not set or set to
>"localhost". This case bundled Xnest server will act as X server (Xnest
>compiles with cygwin and runs), and no X server will be required for local
>X clients. Some related work already done in ntxlib package.
>
>--
>Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
>Moscow, Russia
>
>
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".