Subject: RE: server X
From: [email-masked] (Sergey Okhapkin)

11 Sep 1998 18:59:12 -0700
Message-ID: <01BDDD75.00B69600.cygnus.gnu-win32@sos>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>,
        "'Alexander Stockdale'"
	 <[email-masked]>

Alexander Stockdale wrote:
> I think we really need to port XFree86 to the cygwin environment.  I've 
started looking into this, but it looks like it may be a big job (just look 
at the size of the diff file for the OS/2 port).
>

Porting _Xfree86_ to win32 is a bad idea, because Xfree86 requires direct 
video hardware access. The best candidate to port is sample X server 
provided with X11 distribution - just create directory 
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/Win32 and fill it with some code :-)

Another interesting possibility is to modify libX11 to display X requests 
with Windows GDI calls if environment variable DISPLAY is not set or set to 
"localhost". This case bundled Xnest server will act as X server (Xnest 
compiles with cygwin and runs), and no X server will be required for local 
X clients. Some related work already done in ntxlib package.

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".