Subject: Re: ClearCase don't like files created in bash
From: [email-masked] (Michael Richardson)

11 Sep 1998 04:57:59 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

>>>>> "jeffdb" == jeffdb  <[email-masked]> writes:

    jeffdb> Um I hate to disagree, but ^D appears in lots of files,
    jeffdb> the ^D EOF convention is only for consoles, and can be
    jeffdb> changed with stty, on a normal linux/unix console. ^D has no
    jeffdb> other significance, certainly not for disk files.

  We are actually agreeing.

  When you type ^Z on DOS/CPM on the console it is actually copied to the
file.
  As you say, when you type the EOF on the console under Unix, it produces
a zero-length read, which signals EOF in POSIX systems. No ^D in the file.

   :!mcr!:            |  Solidum Systems Corporation, http://www.solidum.com
   Michael Richardson |For a better connected world,where data flows faster<tm>
 Personal: <A HREF="http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html">[email-masked]</A>. PGP key available.
 Corporate: <A HREF="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A>. 

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".