Subject: Re: I: gcc ... -U_WIN32 ... may cause problems
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

11 Sep 1998 04:45:57 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Mumit Khan <[email-masked]>, gw32 <[email-masked]>

On Thu, Sep 10, 1998 at 08:54:29AM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
[...]
> Geoffrey, __CYGWIN32__ means "access to both Win32 API calls and
> Unix/Posix API calls".  _WIN32 means "access to only Win32 API calls".
>  __MINGW32__ means "access to only Win32 API calls" (Actually could be
> dropped in favor of _WIN32).

Although I understand why people might argue for your definitions,
this is *not* how we've been using them in any of the tools shipped as
part of the gnu-win32 releases.

We've always used __CYGWIN32__ to conditionalize code inclusion on
access to the Cygwin32 API (checking for the existance of Unixy
calls).  We've used _WIN32 to check for accessibility of the Win32 API
calls.  And finally, we've used _MSC_VER to identify code that's only
intended for VC++.

-- 
Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".