Subject: Re: b19.x coolview: question about "broken pipe"
From: [email-masked] (Michael Weiser)

10 Sep 1998 19:54:22 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]

Hello io, you wrote:
>>bash2$ gzip -cd d:/users/io/work/build/archive/foo.tar.gz  | tar tvf -
>>-rw-r--r-- 544/Domain Users 698756 1998-09-08 11:42 basis.img
>>-rw-r--r-- 544/Domain Users 3607012 1998-09-08 11:41 batch.img
>>-rw-r--r-- 544/Domain Users  822512 1998-09-08 11:43 foreign.img
>>Broken pipe
>The problem goes away if run using "#!/bin/ash" instead.
>What is the significance of the  "Broken pipe" message?
This seems to be the bash-text-mode-pipes-problem again: Inside bash
all pipes run in text mode where \n gets converted to \r\n so that
your binary (tar) files get corrupted.

Perhaps its something completely different [;)], but anyway you should
be able to solve it using 'tar -xzvf <filename>' or 'tar
--use-compress-program=gzip -xvf <filename>'. At least it works for
me.
-- 
bye, Michael
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".