Subject: Re: Window Managers + XFree under '98.
From: [email-masked] (Joe Stewart)

9 Sep 1998 22:20:08 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

On Mon, 7 Sep 1998 14:43:26 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I was wondering if it was possible to load an alternative window manager
>under windows after successfully getting XFree compiled, and already
>having a Windows XServer installed on the system.  I already have a few
>window managers successfully compiled under cygwin32, but cannot run them
>because it says there is already a window manager running (Windows I'm
>assuming), has anybody ever here ever actually replaced the interface?

You didn't say which X-server you are using, but if it's the MicroImages X
server, you can just go to the Mix_95 directory (or wherever you installed it)
and run Xs.exe and it will run window manager-less.

The start menu shortcut for MIX points to Tntstart.exe which starts the defaulr
Window Manager, twm.

I have been able to run fvwm2 under MIX, but I'm getting more ambitious now...

Has anyone been able to compile and run any other non-standard window managers
on gnu-win32 like KDE, Gnome or Afterstep? 
I've made an attempt at KDE but I'm running into problems before I even get
there, trying to compile the Qt library it requires.

Any other experiences out there?

-Joe
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".