Subject: Problems with Mercury
From: [email-masked]

9 Sep 1998 22:20:05 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: [email-masked]

Has anyone successfully compiled and installed Mercury lately?

I'm using B19.3 (coolview) and last weeks egcs and bintools from Mumit
Kahn's ftp site, on an NT4.0 SP3.  I'm trying to compile and install
Mercury 0.7, which I also downloaded last week.  

Also, I have installed a few other odds and ends, such as Andy Piper's
autoconfig, Ernie Boyd's install script, and /bin/sh is a copy of /bin/bash.-

Tried out the system on some other things first.  (Well, I tried out
some of it before installing egcs...)  From the FSF-GNU archives,
Hello, genscript, gdbm, pretty much compile, install, and run, (almost) out of
the box.

Here is my Mercury history :

1.  I followed directions in the README.MSwin32 file.
(run 'sh configure,'  add a patch to Mmakefile, run make, run make install). 

2.  The first time I tried the 'make', the whole machine hung at some
point in the rather long process.  I had to simply turn it off to get
it back.  No mouse response, no keybord response at all.

3.  After I restarted (the next day, as it turns out), and checking
that things seemed to be working pretty well, I reran make.
Unfortunately, I forgot to save 'make-all.log' first.  This time, 
the make apparently succeded. 

4.  After running 'make install,' tried to compile some of the samples
with mmake (and then with plain mmc).  Found that nothing worked 
because the files mmc and mmake are shell scripts, and the configure
and make process had generated them with ^Ms at the newline.  Used vim
to :%s/^M// from all of the shell scripts.

5. Now the shell scripts run, but they eventually call 
..../mercury_compile (which I changed to mercury_compile.exe - but that
didn't make any difference in what follows).  Now I get the result:

---Quote:
bash-2.01$ mmc cat.m
(C:\DATA\0058744\cygnus\usr\local\mercury-0.7\lib\mercury\bin\i386-pc-cygwin32\m
ercury_compile.exe 1017) Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
(C:\DATA\0058744\cygnus\usr\local\mercury-0.7\lib\mercury\bin\i386-pc-cygwin32\m
ercury_compile.exe 1017) Dumping stack trace to mercury_compile.exe.core
bash-2.01$
---End Quote.

The error messages come after some time, not instantly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John Velman
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".