Subject: b19.x coolview: question about "broken pipe"
From: [email-masked] (io)

9 Sep 1998 03:23:09 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

The following example [may] fail [depending on the number of entries in it]

>#!/bin/sh
>gzip -c -d d:/users/io/work/build/archive/foo.tar.gz | tar tvf -

Running this directly in a bash console:

>bash2$ gzip -cd d:/users/io/work/build/archive/foo.tar.gz  | tar tvf -
>-rw-r--r-- 544/Domain Users 698756 1998-09-08 11:42 basis.img
>-rw-r--r-- 544/Domain Users 3607012 1998-09-08 11:41 batch.img
>-rw-r--r-- 544/Domain Users  822512 1998-09-08 11:43 foreign.img
>Broken pipe

Running this as a script in a bash console:

>bash2$ foo
>-rw-r--r-- 544/Domain Users 698756 1998-09-08 11:42 basis.img
>-rw-r--r-- 544/Domain Users 3607012 1998-09-08 11:41 batch.img
>-rw-r--r-- 544/Domain Users  822512 1998-09-08 11:43 foreign.img
>foo: line 3: 30264 Broken pipe             gzip -c -d d:/users/io/work/build/archive/foo.tar.gz
>     30265 Done                    | tar tvf -

The problem goes away if run using "#!/bin/ash" instead.
What is the significance of the  "Broken pipe" message?

Schzen

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".