Subject: owner/group of files confused
From: [email-masked] (Matthew O. Persico)

6 Sep 1998 14:55:33 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Greetings.

I have a weird situation:

The output of mkpasswd -l is this:

Administrator::500:513:::/bin/sh
donna::1001:513:Donna M. Persico::/bin/sh
Guest::501:513:::/bin/sh
matthew::1000:513:Matthew O. Persico::/bin/sh

and is the contents of /etc/passwd

The output of mkgroup -l is:

None::513:
Everyone::0:

and is the contents of /etc/group

The output of mkpasswd -g is this:

Administrators::544:0:::
Backup Operators::551:0:::
Guests::546:0:::
Power Users::547:0:::
Replicator::552:0:::
Users::545:0:::

and is the contents of nothing.

I am logged into NT 4.0 SP3 as matthew. When this account 'touch'es a
new file and the account is set up under NT's administration tools as
being in the Users group, the new file is owned by matthew.
Unfortunately, because of some crufty piece of security software I need
for remote loging into work, I must also put 'matthew' in the NT
Administrators group, again using NT's user admin tools. After I do
that, when the account 'matthew' 'touch'es a file, is it owned by user
544.

Now, there is no 544 user, and no 544 group as defined by /etc/group BUT
there is a 544 de-facto group snarfed from the NT view of things, as
evidenced by the fact the mkpasswd -g output.

It appears that the code that assigns ownership to filesystem objects is
confused vis-a-vis the multiple groups that the user is in in the NT
world, the user account itself and the /etc files.

Any suggestions?

-- 
#!/usr/bin/perl -- Matthew O. Persico
print "Just Another Perl Neophyte\n";
## Simplicity is a blessing when you're 
## supporting the program at 2AM
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".