Subject: EGCS-1.1 binary distribution for Cygwin32 b19 and mingw32
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

5 Sep 1998 06:39:17 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

I've just uploaded (patche) egcs-1.1 binaries for cygwin32 b19 and 
mingw32. Note that I haven't had time to update the web pages, so 
you're better off nagivating the ftp site directly.

The mirrors should be picking all of this up in a day or two.

I'm rather short of time, and packaged everything rather hastily.
Hopefully no major bugs sneaked past.

EGCS 1.1 for i386-mingw32 and i386-cygwin32 -- Release information
==================================================================

Release date: Sep 5, 1998.

What's New?

  This is a major new release, with lots of generic fixes and lots of
  Win32 specific fixes. For EGCS fixes, visit the egcs home page at

    http://egcs.cygnus.com/
  
  As of now, egcs-1.1 is the most conforming C++ compiler available
  for the Win32 world (I'm still waiting on Intel's next version).

  Tim Prince tells me that it's also one of the fastest FORTRAN
  compilers.

  Win32 specific changes:
    
    * DLL import/export supported. Support complete for C. Some issues
      remain regarding vtables and RTTI in C++. FORTRAN functions and
      subroutines supported, but not common block import/export from
      DLLs (due to lack of syntax, the functionality is there in the
      backend).
    
    * Faster code, espcially in conjuction with new binutils.

    * Lots of code generation fixes. Some known bugs remain (eg., the
      C++ inline bug mentioned in the mailing list when you don't use 
      any optimization; it's a assembler/linker bug and not egcs bug
      however, if that's any consolation).
    
  Patches included that are not in the standard egcs-1.1 distribution:
    
    * #pragma pack(push/pop, <n>) supported. Thanks to Nick Clifton.
    * C++ parser doesn't choke on declarations with attributes (remember 
      those troublesome OpenGL headers ;-). Thanks to Alastair Houghton.
    * libf2c etime, dtime, etc now work under Win95. Thanks to Tim Prince.
    * Misc. other fixes.

What's in this package?
  
  egcs-1.1: The compilers for C, C++, ObjC and F77 plus runtime
    libraries.

  binutils-980830: The GNU binary utilities (assembler, linker,
    windres, etc). Also included are an enhanced version of windres
    (thanks to Anders Norlander) and dllwrap from dllhelpers v0.2.2.

  Mingw runtime: Colin Peters' latest Mingw 980701 snapshot + plus 
    local changes. MINGW32 ONLY.

  Windows32api: Heavily modified windows32api 0.1.2. 50% of the patches
    are from Colin, and 40% extracted from Cygnus, 10% misc. It's now
    possible to build Tcl/Tk/Tix/BLT etc with mingw32. MINGW32 ONLY.

  libg++-2.8.2: I've included HJ Lu's libg++-2.8.2-980828 release. This
    is completely unsupported, but I'm including to avoid answering tons
    of email regarding why it's not there.

Where?
  
  Web: http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/

  For Cygwin32,
  FTP: ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin32/egcs-1.1/

  For Mingw32,
  FTP: ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/egcs-1.1/

  Please visit the web page before you attempt to download/install. It
  may address problems you might run into.

Installation? 
 
  Please the read the INSTALL and README before installing. Both are
  available for downloading from the URLs above.

Disk space?
   
  About 34M for Mingw32 and 26M for Cygwin32, give or take a few.

Where to report bugs?

  Report configuration and Win32 specific bugs to me, GCC specific bugs 
  egcs-bugs, and always copy gnu-win32 mailing list so others can see it
  as well. If you send me email, please do have patience, since I usually 
  do not have the time to respond to each email right away.

Regards,
Mumit -- [email-masked]
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".