Subject: Thoughts on redistributing DLL's and such
From: [email-masked] (Craig Setera)

2 Sep 1998 11:14:23 -0700
Message-ID: <5010400026492126000002L062*.cygnus.gnu-win32@MHS>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
To: <[email-masked]>

I'm considering putting binaries out on my GIMP for Win32 web site.  I have a
few concerns about this, one of which is the redistribution of various
prerequisites.  In the short term, I'm probably just going to provide a zip or
tar file with the binaries and some install instructions.  In this case, I can
just continue to point people to the appropriate precompiled required pieces.
I could also provide local copies of only the required binaries (such as the 2
X11 client library DLL's required, as opposed to the entire X11 binary).  When
(if?) I ever get an installable version of this done, I would certainly want to
include all of the prerequisites (except for the X-server itself).

This leaves me with a licensing/acknowledgement concern.  What is the usual
policy for acknowledging these pieces and is it generally considered ok to
bundle them?  The following are the prerequisites that I could see potentially
bundling:

- The required X11 client libraries (R6.3 or R6.4) including X11.dll and
X11ext.dll.
- The X11 locale files
- The GIF, PNG and JPEG library DLL's
- A copy of cygwin32.dll?? (Would allow me to know which version people are
using and that it works)

Any thoughts/concerns would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

Craig Setera
AS/400 Enterprise Java Development
IBM Rochester
[email-masked]
(507) 253-3387 - Tie: 553-3387
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".