Subject: B19.1: fork bug?
From: [email-masked] (Chris Dotson)

2 Sep 1998 11:06:24 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]

     I have an application that I've compiled using gnu-win32.  After a
fork(), the new process always crashes immediately with a
STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION (exception C0000005) -- the original process
continues unharmed.

     Someone else had this exact problem a while back
(http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/1997-Feb/0603.html), although a
sleep() after the fork fixed the problem there.  (I've tried that; no
joy.)  Is there a known bug with the handling of fork(), and if so, is
there any resolution in sight?  The application runs fine on many flavors
of Unix, but I can't completely rule out that there's not a programming
error somewhere.

     I'm running B19.1 with Sergey's latest COOLVIEW patch.  (CYGWIN32 env
var is set to "tty", also).  The files are mounted binary.  Thanks in
advance for any help!

     One more thing -- I couldn't for the life of me find anything with
the mailing list archive search.  It would return messages that had none
of my search terms in them when I searched for:  exception fork.  I
finally used altavista with +url:"cygnus.com" and found the above article
immediately.  Am I doing something wrong, or is it broken?

---
Elric                                    _________________________________
Chris  Dotson - [email-masked]     / http://www.cslab.uky.edu/~elric /
"If it ain't broke - mess with it until it is.  Then fix it."    -Me

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".