Subject: Re: I: gcc ... -U_WIN32 ... may cause problems
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

2 Sep 1998 08:33:55 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Geoffrey Noer wrote:

> 
> Perhaps -Dunix should be added to the define list whenever
> __CYGWIN32__ is defined?  Linux includes -Dunix and -Asystem(posix) in
> CPP_PREDEFINES (looking at gcc/config/i386/linux.h).
> 

I see no problem in cygwin32 specs defining "unix", but I have yet to
see a good argument for getting rid of _WIN32 from x86-win32 targets,
especially from mingw32.

So far I've seen only a 2 or 3 posts suggesting we get rid of WIN32 
(Earnie Boyd and someone else -- Larry Hall? Sorry, I can't remember), 
but all of these were low on details as to why. If I'm missing a few 
posts that you believe are pertinent, please feel free to shout.

Granted that lots of code out there IMO incorrectly uses _WIN32 where it
should be using _MSC_VER or BORLANDC or, better yet, autoconf style macros 
(or some other similar mechanism) to define capabilities of host/target 
system; I think over time we should be getting those packages fixed instead 
of getting rid of WIN32 and temporarily masking the problem.

Regards,
Mumit

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".