Subject: Re: RESULTS: newsgroup creation straw poll.
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

1 Sep 1998 04:58:44 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Steve Morris <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

On Fri, Aug 21, 1998 at 12:55:52PM -0400, Steve Morris wrote:
[...]
> Since cygwin is not a windows manager comp.os.windows is probably not
> appropriate. We have been thinking about putting it in the
> comp.os.ms-windows hierarchy which is probably what you were
> thinking.

Yep.  My mistake.

> There is something else that should be discussed before we go too
> far. What do people think about calling it cygwin vs. something like
> gunwin32. Is this a cygnus product and discussion or is this a
> larger group with cygnus as the biggest contributor.
>
> What is Cygnus position on this?  Geoff? Can you speak for them?

We're in the middle of discussing this.  I'll get back to you
when I can.

Since we're talking about newsgroups in somewhat of a more serious
fashion than normal (which is good), I should probably also mention
that the names "Cygwin32" and "GNU-Win32" are under discussion.
(Although any change would probably be slight).  If we decide to make
any changes, we should start the newsgroups afterwards to facilitate
things.

Personally, I like making a distinction between the name of the
emulation layer "Cygwin32" and the name of the ported packages
"GNU-Win32".

I like idea of hosting the groups under comp.unix.emulation or
comp.os.emulation since avoiding cross-posting from comp.os.ms-windows
groups would be a good thing.  On the other hand, the project would
probably be more visible under comp.os.ms-windows.  Thoughts?

Regardless of the location, how would the topics best be covered?
I can think of a few possible groups:

1) a cygwin group for the emulation layer.
2) an announce group for gnu-win32-related announcements.
3) a cygwin.porting group for discussion about specific ports of UNIX
   apps using Cygwin32.
4) a mingw group for Mingw32-related discussion.

It might be good for these to all be in the same place (all under
gnuwin32?) but mingw wouldn't belong under an emulation hierarchy.
So maybe comp.os.ms-windows would make the most sense after all.

Thoughts?

Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".