Subject: FAQ: gnuwin32 mini FAQ - first draft
From: [email-masked] (Michael Weiser)

1 Sep 1998 04:58:41 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--=_35eb3be341926316052e3279.MFSBCHJLHS"
To: [email-masked]

----=_35eb3be341926316052e3279.MFSBCHJLHS
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi folks,

this is the first draft of the gnuwin32 mini FAQ (as I named it).

I would just like to get some feedback from you, what should be added,
changed, left out and so on. Please mail me directly instead of
posting to the list to prevent some never ending thread about style or
content. :)

At the moment the document is largely based on Earnie's IMPORTANT
UPGRADE NOTICE. I checked all URLs and found that some are down or
even empty (nothing appears). Could the owners or maintainers of these
sites please contact me to tell me where the problem comes from so
that I can change the FAQ accordingly?

Of course all the others who have some interesting gnuwin32-stuff on
their site can send me their URL, too, and I will check it for
relevance for this mini- and resource-FAQ.

I'm thinking about posting the FAQ about twice a month or even weekly.
What is the opinion on that? FYI: The text is 4,2 KBytes in size now
and will get something like 10K when it's finished.

Okay, that's it. Please don't throw empty bottles or rotten tomatoes
at me. ;)
-- 
tschoe, Michael
Elefanten spielen nicht Schach!

----=_35eb3be341926316052e3279.MFSBCHJLHS
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; name=cygwin32-mini-faq.txt
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=cygwin32-mini-faq.txt

gnuwin32 mini FAQ

$Id: cygwin32-mini-faq.txt,v 1.3 1998/09/01 00:12:11 michael Exp $

  This document tries to answer the gnuwin32 mailing list's most
frequently asked questions. It is not intended to replace any other
document you should have read before mailing a question to the list
but tries to give a comprehensive list of such resources and download
locations.

  But before doing anything else you should make sure that you have
updated your cygwinb19 package, even and especially if you just
downloaded and installed it.

- Sergey Okhapkin's coolview package contains an updated cygwinb19.dll
  that reflects the latest developments and fixes a lot of known
  problems. It is the latest resource and even newer than the b19.1
  update found on Cygnus' site.

- Mumit Khan's compilation of egcs for the cygwinb19.dll fixes lots of
  problems with the tools that come with the tools, especially if
  you're using the C++ compiler. This is a drop-in replacement for the
  gcc toolset.

URL's are listed below.

1. Most frequently asked questions

  If your problem doesn't go away after the above mentioned updates,
perhaps the following QA's help solving it:

1.1. gcc gives strange error messages

[ text goes here. any volunteers? ]

1.2. long pauses occuring randomly in bash

[ text goes here. any volunteers? ]

1.3. Windows 95 freezing up

[ text goes here. any volunteers? ]

2. Resources

2.1. General information

  If the above doesn't answer your question you should read the
cygwin32 FAQ at http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/faq.html
before posting any question to the list.

[request via mail?]

  Please also research your question via the Searchable Mail Archives
at http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32. Most problems have already been
discussed and solved on the list.

2.2. gnuwin32 related WWW sites

  If you are searching for a port of a specific program or further
information on a certain topic, you should check out the following
gnu-win32 related WWW sites:

http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (project page)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (comercial page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/faq.html           (cygwin32 faq)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos           (Sergey Okhapkin - updates and ports)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html (Colin Peters - mingw32)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/
                                      (Mumit Khan - updates and ports)
http://www.alank.net/                   (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/             (more tools and man pages)
http://aquarius.franken.de/docs/develop/gnuwin32/GNUWin32.txt
                              (Michael Hirmke - package porting notes)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf             (Christopher Faylor - ports)
http://www.dol.ru/users/valtul               (Valery Tulnikov - ports)
http://www.kedemel.demon.co.uk/                       (Darren - ports)
http://www.multione.capgemini.fr/tools/pack_ipc/
                            (Ludovic Lange - ipc package for cygwin32)

Pages that seem to be down:

http://dvpraktikum.informatik.uni-koeln.de:3232/
                                    (Cygwin32 Porting Project - down?)
http://www.downloadwizard.com/ak/gnu-win32/bash.html
                                (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration - down?)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru          (Chuck Bogorad - ports - empty?)

3.3. gnuwin32 FTP archives

  There are also lots of gnuwin32 related FTP sites:

ftp://go.cygnus.com/pub/ftp.cygnus.com/gnu-win32
                                           (primary cygwin32 FTP site)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32
                                  (German mirror and ports collection)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/       (Sergey Okhapkin's FTP site)
ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/local/fox/cygwin32 (David Fox - RPM packages)

[ some more lots would be needed :) ]

4. acknowledgements

  Special thanks go to Earnie Boyd who wrote the first version of this
document. I of course also want to thank all the developers at Cygnus
and all over the net for developing such a great development
environment. :)

5. legal stuff

I disclaim everything. :)
Copyright (c) 1998 by Michael Weiser, all rights reserved.

# end of file

----=_35eb3be341926316052e3279.MFSBCHJLHS--
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".