Subject: re: "stupid newbie questions" - not
From: [email-masked] (Stephen L Arnold)

27 Aug 1998 09:08:10 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: [email-masked]

On 24 Aug 98, Fieldhouse, Dirk had this to say about re: "stupid 
newbie questions" - not:

> On 19 Aug 98, Stephen L Arnold had stupid newbie questions:
>
> > What does cygpath.exe do?
> 
> It's not part of B19?

It was part of the Coolview package (with the cygwin .dll and a
lib.a file; it's some other guy's update).

> > GCC_EXEC_PREFIX='D:\USR\CYGWIN\H-I386~1\lib\gcc-lib\'
> > GDBTK_LIBRARY=D:/usr/Cygwin/share/gdbtcl
> > CYGFS=D:/usr/Cygwin
> > 
> > These others (below) are obviously wrong; where are they
> > set?
> >
> > CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/lib/g++include
> > C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include

> As for the ..._INCLUDE_PATH variables, they appear not to be needed if you
> leave things in the standard places.

I had to install it to my D: parttion, so D:\USR is mounted as root.

These directories (as such) don't exist on my machine; how can they 
work?  Don't they have to point to the right places?  And what are 
the right places under the cygwin directory structure?

About the mount command:

Can I just mount directories from any part of any DOS partition 
wherever I want?

What about this answer from the FAQ?

How do I set /etc up?
---------------------

If you want a valid /etc set up (so "ls -l" will display correct
user information for example) and if you are running NT (preferably
with an NTFS file system), you should just need to create the /etc
directory on the filesystem mounted as / and then use mkpasswd and
mkgroup to create /etc/passwd and /etc/group respectively.  Since
Windows 95's Win32 API is less complete, you're out of luck if 
you're running Windows 95!

I kinda took that to mean win95 doesn't have the user/group info, 
etc, to make an /etc dir worthless for win95.  What is /etc good 
for under win95?
*************************************************************
Steve Arnold                            [email-masked]
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons.  You should
also recycle yourself.  Become an organ donor (8-)@
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".