Subject: Re: Mesa Graphics Library
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

27 Aug 1998 07:03:48 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Paul Garceau <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Paul Garceau wrote:

> Hi folks,
> 
> 	Has anyone heard of the Mesa Graphics Library?  I recently downloaded 
> a copy and have been working on attempting to make a native windows port of 
> this package using EGCS-Mingw32.

I remember Brian Paul mentioning that someone was working on; this was
a few years ago, and I haven't really kept up with Mesa development
since. Was there nothing about Win32 in the latest distrib?

> 
> 	Is anyone else working with this library for Gnu-Win32?  If so, please let 
> me know what you have discovered as I do not want to be forced to re-invent 
> the wheel where this graphics lib is concerned.
> 

I'm using MS OpenGL, so haven't had the need. If someone else doesn't do
it, I'll probably give it a shot. Do remember that Mesa can be quite slow 
unless; there are some patches to support hardware accelaration, but 
only available for a few systems. One of my packages uses Mesa on Linux, 
and the slowdown is quite noticable for complex 3D real-time simulation 
(wave front propagation). That's probably the only tool I have that runs 
faster under Solaris 2.6 than under Linux on the same machine. MS OpenGL
isn't that great either, so ...

Mumit

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".