Subject: Re: EGCS 1.0.2: weird include paths with gcc -b, specs, etc
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

22 Aug 1998 11:20:10 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: "Fieldhouse, Dirk" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Fieldhouse, Dirk wrote:

> ref: Earnie Boyd's http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/1998-Apr/0028.html
> 
> I'm trying to set up a dual cygwin32/mingw32 environment with the egcs 1.0.2
> cygwin32 binaries and being defeated by some strange behaviour with search
> paths.
> 
> The binary distribution of egcs-1.0.2 for cygwin32 seems to have some
> hard-wired directories built into it, specifically
> 
> 	../../../../../include
> and 
>  	../../../../i386-cygwin32/include
> 

Yeah, this is what I call the "Cygnus unlibsubdir" patch that is standard
with Cygnus built distributions. Basically, unlibsubdir patch relocates 
the entire GCC package with only one env variable -- GCC_EXEC_PREFIX -- 
and everything is accessed relative to that. This change affects the
language drivers, cpp and proto tools only.

As with any choice of this type, there are pros and cons. I had built the 
first mingw32 release without this, and hence you needed all the other 
environment variables to run. I supplied a bat file to make life simple, 
and then ended up answering so many email messages that I got rather sick 
and tired of it. So, for egcs-1.0.2, and it will be so for egcs-1.1, I 
added this patch and haven't received a single message about not being 
able to run GCC due to incorrect variable setting. I believe Earnie was 
the only person to voice his opposition to this, but then again, he is 
more than a casual user, and fully capable of rebuilding from sources.

I need to weigh my time against other factors, and unless someone provides
a different mechanism, while keeping the "relocatability" feature, I'm
afraid this feature (or bug, depending on who you are) is here to stay.

What I *am* willing to do however is to build the drivers (gcc.exe, etc) 
without this patch and put it in a separate archive so you can use those 
instead. The only programs affected are the language drivers, cpp,
protoize and unprotoize.

BTW, the --exec-prefix and --prefix settings are different for cygwin32
(which use different values for these) and mingw32 (uses the same value
for both), so what you see is consistent.

Regards,
Mumit

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".