Subject: Re: mounts, ls, and filename completion
From: [email-masked] (Michael Weiser)

20 Aug 1998 23:56:59 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Hello Earnie,

You wrote:

>> Hmm, I didn't think that you have to change bash or ash to use binary
>> pipes. At least in DOS programs you can set stdin and stdout into
>binary
>> mode and don't have to change command.com. I don't know if this can
>also
>> be done in Win32 console programs. I thought that the Cygwin.dll would
>> handle this, so binary mode would/should work with every
>Cygwin-compiled
>> program, regardless if I use bash or command.com.
>> 
>Shell piping is controlled by the shell.  If the coding for the shell
>isn't correct then you have to fix the code for the shell.  Win32
>piping should work fine for cmd.exe.  You've gotta fix the bash shell
>to use binary pipes and IMHO it shouldn't be an option it should
>always open the pipes in binary mode.
Doesn't the binmode setting for the CYGWIN32 environment variable
affect bash's pipes?

bye

Michael
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".