Subject: Fwd: make problem/bug on NT (Cygwin B19)
From: [email-masked]

20 Aug 1998 17:55:09 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
	boundary="part0_903532659_boundary"
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--part0_903532659_boundary
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII

In a message dated 8/19/98 4:09:14 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [email-masked]
writes:

> Clock skew detected, your
>  build may be incomplete'

This message is not unusual under cygwin32, even when running locally, and I
had it just as often with make-3.76.1 as I do now with make-3.77.  Running on
hpux, however, the message is generated only when using data files through
NFS.

--part0_903532659_boundary
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-type: message/rfc822
Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit
Content-disposition: inline

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 09:48:26 +0200 (METDST)
From: "Lassi A. Tuura" <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "Lassi A. Tuura" <[email-masked]>
To: "John A. Turner" <[email-masked]>
cc: gnu-win32 mailing list <[email-masked]>,
        [email-masked]
Subject: Re: make problem/bug on NT (Cygwin B19)
Sender: [email-masked]

|> Does anyone have a clue what might be happening here? [...] v3.77 of
|> make [...] seemed to have other problems (kept claiming times were
|> off). 

Actually, that likely to be your problem.  If the modification time of
the library is in future (beyond the time stamp you get on your .f90
file after touching it), make will think it is up to date and will not
build anything.  Perhaps the `lb' tool is doing something twisted?

In general, if make spits out messages like `Clock skew detected, your
build may be incomplete', watch out.  Your build *may* be incomplete :-) 

Usually things like these happen only on networked file systems, where
the file server and the client run different times.  Building on a local
file system usually succeeds in that situation.  You should make sure
your client is always running at the same time, or more in future, than
your file server (for instance, by using a network time protocol). 
Otherwise, as files are created on the server, they get future (as seen
by your workstation) timestamps and make will be confused.

HTH,
//lat
--
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.  However, this is not
necessarily a good idea.  It is hard to be sure where they are going
to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead.  --RFC1925, "The Twelve Networking Truths"

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

--part0_903532659_boundary--
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".