Subject: (Fwd) Re: How to detect win9 vs NT
From: [email-masked] (Paul Garceau)

20 Aug 1998 17:36:47 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: [email-masked]

Hi folks,

	Not sure what happened...apparently the majordomo made a 
mistake and sent this back to me thinking I was making a request 
to [email-masked]...which, of course, I wasn't.

------- Forwarded Message Follows -------
From:           	Self <paul>
To:             	[email-masked]
Subject:        	Re: How to detect win9 vs NT
Send reply to:  	[email-masked]
Date sent:      	Mon, 17 Aug 1998 20:41:12 -0700

Greetings,

 If you are using "make 3.76.1", you can determine which 
values are set for the platform by running "make -p".  That gives 
you the internal database which the make command uses.

 Under NT 4, "os" is set by the internal make database to 
Windows_NT...I don't have Win95 or Win98, so am not sure what 
the value of OS would be, though I might hypothesize that it is 
something like Windows_95, etc.

 So, I would think that a make command sequence that goes 
something like

 ifeq ($(OS),Windows_NT)
  <define something NT_like>
 endif
 ifeq($(OS),Windows_95)
  <define something Win95_like>
 endif

 Such a command sequence would be perfectly capable of 
determining what platform OS is being used and what needs to be 
defined or included depending on the platform OS being used.

 Peace,

  Paul G.

Information Systems Consultant
NewDawn Productions
http://www.teleport.com/~pgarceau/newdawn/
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".