Subject: Re: bash "pregnant pauses" revisited (B19 on NT 4.0)
From: [email-masked] (Lassi A. Tuura)

20 Aug 1998 12:30:29 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "Lassi A. Tuura" <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Arndt Schoenewald <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ulrich Lauther <[email-masked]>,
        Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]>, Matthias Morche <[email-masked]>,
        Cygwin32 Maillist <[email-masked]>

|> I don't know what the default mail path for the bash.exe shipped with
|> B19 is (echo $MAILPATH or $MAIL doesn't print anything), but I took a
|> hex editor to look into the binary and found an instance of the string
|> "unknown" not far from occurances of MAIL and MAILPATH. I patched the
|> string from "unknown" to "no-idea", and guess what, the system started
|> to query my name server for "no-idea". Gotcha.

Read from line 1149 onwards in aclocal.m4 (in bash 2.01), that starts
with the very telling words:
  AC_DEFUN(BASH_DEFAULT_MAIL_DIR,
  [AC_MSG_CHECKING(for default mail directory) 

and ends after lots of checking with:
   AC_DEFINE(DEFAULT_MAIL_DIRECTORY, "unknown")

Looks like whoever builds the distributions could make us all the favour
of first creating the directory /usr/spool/mail (or any of the other
ones that are checked for)?

Cheers,
//lat
--
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.  However, this is not
necessarily a good idea.  It is hard to be sure where they are going
to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead.  --RFC1925, "The Twelve Networking Truths"

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".