Subject: Re: mounts, ls, and filename completion
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

18 Aug 1998 22:51:06 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Michael Mauch <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> I guess it should. Another member of the list answered that I should
set
> CYGWIN32=binmode, but as soon as I do so, every Cygwin program
> immediately coredumps on startup (the .core file is in binary mode
then,
> so it seems to work a bit). I tried to set it in a DOS box using `set´
> and/or `winset´, and in the autoexec.bat. I'm using Win95b OSR2.5/124
> and Cygwin 19.1. The coolview thing is for NT only? Or should I try
> that?

YES! Get the `coolview thing'.  It is a replacement for the
cygwinb19.dll with modifications for the bug fixes.  NO! It is not
just for NT only.

> 
> >  Support for this would require a change to the bash code and
> > I don't know if its in there or not.  I've modified my bash code
to open
> > pipes and such as binary so I don't notice problems there myself
anymore...
> 
> Hmm, I didn't think that you have to change bash or ash to use binary
> pipes. At least in DOS programs you can set stdin and stdout into
binary
> mode and don't have to change command.com. I don't know if this can
also
> be done in Win32 console programs. I thought that the Cygwin.dll would
> handle this, so binary mode would/should work with every
Cygwin-compiled
> program, regardless if I use bash or command.com.
> 

Shell piping is controlled by the shell.  If the coding for the shell
isn't correct then you have to fix the code for the shell.  Win32
piping should work fine for cmd.exe.  You've gotta fix the bash shell
to use binary pipes and IMHO it shouldn't be an option it should
always open the pipes in binary mode.

==
-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".